ENSEMBLE OPENINGS, REQUIREMENTS AND PREREQUISITES
Next Orchestra Auditions will take place on Saturday, September 10.
Ensembles set Third Street apart. Students can participate in a variety of small and large ensembles. Not all ensembles require an audition to join, please continue reading below.
Third Street choirs are divided by age and do not require an audition. Contact Student Services to add Chorus to your schedule, or call 212-777-3240 x17 with questions. Ready to register today? You can register online.
Students can audition at the beginning or at the end of the school year. Click here to register for an audition. Each orchestra has its own set of audition requirements detailed in the table below. The pieces suggested for each instrument are minimum level requirements. Students should use these criteria as general guidelines for audition preparation, but may be placed in a different orchestra based on their audition. Always consult with your teacher.
|Scales||D, G||D, G, C, A||Up to 3 sharps or flats|
|Sight Reading||May be required||Required||Required|
|Violin||Book 1: Minuet 3||Book 2: Handel Bouree||Book 4: Vivaldi Violin Concerto Mvts. 1 or 3 completed|
|Viola||Book 1: Minuet 3||Book 2: Handel Bouree||Middle of Book 4:
Major for Two Violas
|Cello||Book 1: The Happy Farmer||Book 2: J.S. Bach’s Musette from English Suite No. 3||End of Book 4: Breval’s Sonata in C Major, Op. 40, No. 1|
|Bass||Book 1: The Little Fiddle||Theme from Mahler’s Symphony No. 1||End of Book 3: Sweet Georgia Brown|
Chamber Auditions will consist of:
- One solo piece of your choice demonstrating proficiency in technique, musicianship and reading abilities.
- Students may be asked to demonstrate knowledge in scales or arpeggios but is not required.
- Students must be taking individual lessons and have consent and support from their individual lesson instructors to participate in chamber music.
- Chamber Music takes place on Saturdays 3:30-4:30PM and/or 4:30-5:30PM. Students should remain available for both hours until they have been placed in an ensemble following a successful audition. Please note any scheduling conflicts prior to auditioning.
For information and to schedule an audition, please email Vanessa Lee
ADVANCED CELLO ENSEMBLE (ACE)
Advanced cello students prepare and perform multi-part cello ensemble works by composers ranging from Bach to the Beatles. Audition requirements: Prepared piece at Suzuki book 5 level (or equivalent), 3 octave scales, sight reading.
If interested in joining the ensemble, please email Shanda Wooley
- No age/years of study requirements
- Sight reading–yes
- 2 Octave major and minor scales through 3 sharps and flats
- Chromatic scale 2 octaves
- Solo: J.Andersen Scherzo or equivalent
- Students will be asked to demonstrate techniques including vibrato and double tonguing.
- No age/yrs of study requirement
- Sight reading–yes
- C scale, F scale, G scale: 1 octave
- Solo of your choice
For questions about joining Flutonium or Flute Lab, email Susan Friedlander
Students will be placed in groups based on their age and ability as judged in auditions. Returning students do not need to audition. The recommended minimum age of a student playing in an ensemble is 6-years-old, and they will need to show proficiency appropriate to their age in technique, musicianship and reading abilities.
Students must be taking individual piano lessons and have consent and support from their individual lesson instructors to participate in a piano ensemble.
Before auditioning, students must demonstrate performance readiness by participating in at least three public performances such as a Music Hour, studio recital, concert or equivalent performances outside of Third Street.
Please contact Joan Forsyth for more information and to schedule an audition.
Third Street’s jazz program is comprised of two main ensembles, Jazz Prep (ages 9 – 11) and Jazz Big Band (ages 12 and above), as well as a number of small jazz combos. Students interested in auditioning should prepare a solo selection which demonstrates their best musical and technical abilities. Some sight-reading may be required and students may also be asked to play a scale.
For more information on Jazz Ensembles and to schedule an audition, email Neal Kirkwoord, program coordinator.